Making Mix Adjustments

Welp, I finally got back into my studio.

The flu is still hanging on a bit, so instead of recording something new I messed around with the mix on "Before I Come Home" (released Dec 2018).

Mostly what I did was tweak the EQ and compression on the lead vocal. I completely changed my processing chain, and after all my adjustments the result is shockingly similar to what I had previously. The vocal is just a bit more open now.

Besides a few other teeny-tiny tweaks I also did something special to the lead vocal on the bridge. I wanted an "other-wordly" sound so I added a reverse reverb effect. I ran this through an amp simulator to add some grain, followed by a widener to make it very spacious, and finally automated some fly-by's using binaural panning (so listen with headphones for the full effect!).

I'm so grateful that we have the Internet and that so much information is available to teach us what we want to learn. I can take classes online, listen to interviews with mixing legends and watch them work, get feedback from other engineers in groups, and we have so many great software editing tools available. It's a great time to be producing and sharing music.

Speaking of which... I updated the released audio. See what you think. :)

Comments